We doubt you don’t know what Among Us is, but do you know how to play it? Or where is it downloaded? If you are not sure what to do as an imposter or a crew member, do not miss this complete guide.
Although it was created in November 2018 by Innersloth, Among Us has gained a lot of popularity during the Covid-19 pandemic thanks to YouTubers and influencers from around the world.
We have to confess that we are completely hooked. Here we explain what this fashion game is about, what you need to know to play, and where and how to download it to your smartphone or PC. Keep reading!
What is Among Us?
Among Us is an online multiplayer video game with between 4 and 10 participants. Its gameplay is quite simple, and its graphics are two-dimensional. Hence, its installation requirements are quite low.
Among Us is about a spaceship with several crew members who have to complete different maintenance tasks or missions. Among them are imposters who will try to sabotage the ship and kill the rest.
The grace of the video game is that nobody knows who the impostors are (they do, of course). Roles are assigned randomly before the game begins, so any participant can be a crew member or an impostor.
The crew members have to complete their missions as they try to discover who the impostors are and thus expel them from the ship and win the game. For their part, the impostors pretend that they are crew members so as not to arouse suspicion and kill without being discovered.
When a corpse appears, or there is a suspicion about someone, a meeting is called where the situation is discussed. In it, the evidence is exposed, other players are accused and interrogated. In the end, each member votes who should be expelled from the ship.
Crewmembers can win in two ways: expelling impostors or completing ship maintenance tasks. At the same time, the impostors will win when they kill all the crew until only one remain. They will also do so if they sabotage the ship and prevent it from being repaired within the allotted time.
Where to download and how to install Among Us
Currently, it is available for different platforms (both PC and mobile). It’s free for Android and iOS, but for PC, you have to pay a minimum of € 5 (unless you use an Android emulator for PC). If you want to download Among Us, you must:
- Android: go to the Play Store application store and download it.
- iOS: find the title in the App Store and install it.
- Steam: Find the game on the Steam page and pay for its download and installation.
- PC (web): access the official website of the game. If you want, you can download an emulator like Bluestacks and, later, perform the same operation as in Android.
- Nintendo Switch: Log in to Nintendo and start purchasing the game. Its cost is $ 4.29 and it works for Switch and Switch Lite. Remember that if you do not have the online paid, you will not be able to play Among Us on Nintendo Switch.
Since it is a video game with quite low requirements, it is suitable for any device or PC. Its installation is quite simple and similar to any app or software.
Can it be played on PS4 and Xbox One? Unfortunately, no, to date, it is not available for these platforms. However, it is possible that the future Innersloth will get it.
How to play Among Us: the basics of the game?
As we have mentioned before, 4 to 10 participants can play. In each game, you select from 1 to 3 impostors and choose between 3 different maps. Other parameters such as discussion, voting, assassination reload, emergency times and much more can also be configured.
In its latest update, in addition, the votes can be anonymous and the taskbar can be visible, not visible or only visible in meetings.
It offers two game modes:
- “Local” mode, where you can create or join a game only with people who are close to you.
- “Online” mode is the most used. It is the same but with players from all over the world.
Regarding the Among Us maps, so far, they are these:
Skeld: it is the easiest of all and the original of the game. It is a ship that is traveling through space. It has 14 different rooms, as well as security cameras and sewers.
Look at HQ: it’s a space station with 13 rooms. It is the smallest, but it has different tasks and the possibility of locking doors.
Polus – a very large map and the newest before Airship. His environment is a research base on the planet Polus and has 22 rooms. It has cracks instead of ventilation sewers.
Airship: in this case, the crew members go in a remote control through the air. It is the largest and most complicated map in the game (it has about 17 rooms). In this map, you will see new game mechanics, a new death with the laser beam, and exclusive tasks.
How to play as a crew member?
Your functions as a crewmate are basically doing assigned tasks, fixing sabotage, and, above all, discovering impostors. You can win in two ways: surviving until completing the taskbar or discovering the impostors before they finish them all.
The best thing is that you start with your assigned tasks or missions as soon as the game starts. Don’t start looking for suspects at this point. You will cause tasks to be delayed and others to think you are suspicious.
The missions are usually quite simple (drag objects, connect cables, press buttons, pass a card through a reader, etc.). You will have some tasks in common with other crew members, but try to do them carefully so as not to expose yourself to being killed. Some of these are:
- Empty the trash/landfill.
- Calibrate the distributor.
- Repair the wiring.
- Swipe the card.
- Align the motor outlet.
- Watering plants.
- Enter identification codes.
- Inspect the samples.
- Buy drink.
- Upload data.
Not everything remains in simply fulfilling the missions. Take all this into account if you play as a crew member and want to win in Among Us:
- It is essential that you be attentive to the behavior of the other players and see if someone is suspicious.
- Some telltale behaviors include not completing tasks or taking too long, using the sewers, moving too fast between rooms, and obviously murdering someone in front of you.
- You also have a very important role in the discussions, but you have to be careful. If you do not participate, it can imply that you are hiding something. And, if you accuse someone who is not really an imposter without arguments, they will suspect that it is you and that you are trying to expel the rest of the crew.
- Always have a convincing alibi to show that you are not the impostor: say what you were doing, what tasks you have or are missing, what you have seen, or ask the witnesses to corroborate what you say …
- On the other hand, take advantage of the discussions to interrogate the suspicious crew members and ask questions that reveal who the impostor is.
- Trust no one; even impostors can pose as crew members and report corpses. Pay close attention to what others are saying. Imposters usually lie in their alibis. Notice if they hesitate a lot when answering or if they contradict themselves.
- Even if you die, don’t stop working; remember that you are part of a team. If you complete all your tasks, you will help your companions win. And if they win, so do you.
How to play Among Us as an imposter
As an impostor, your main mission is to stop the crew from completing their tasks and kill them all until there is only one left. You will win when you have killed all the crew without being discovered or when you sabotage the ship and it is not repaired in time.
You have various tools and skills. However, the most important thing is to be smart, pretend that you are a crew member and make good decisions. To do this, keep the following tips in mind:
- Try to pretend that you are doing homework. But get it right; if you are too fast or too slow, they might suspect you.
- Plan or calculate your kills while pretending to work on the ship.
- If you don’t know which tasks to pretend on the left side of the screen, you will have a list of fake missions as a suggestion. In any case, move freely around the map and look for opportunities to kill the crew.
- Since time is of the essence in planning your killings well, you have the sabotage tool. Take advantage of it to distract the crew and delay them in their tasks. Getting the “mess” you’ve caused not quickly fixed can be another good way to win the game. Among the most important sabotages is to cause the fusion of the reactor and oxygen and to cut the electricity. The latter is very useful because the map remains dark for the crew (although not for you).
- Also, take advantage of the ventilation sewers to move faster around the map. But be careful not to be seen, as the impostors are the only ones who can use them.
- There may be other imposters in the game. The good thing is that you will know who they are so you can work as a team and create more confusion. You can mislead others by accusing another imposter and thus make them trust you. It’s a risky technique and a bit creepy to tell the truth.
- You can report corpses and pretend you’ve found them. But don’t do it too often, or it will raise suspicions.
- You can also sabotage and be the one to repair the sabotage yourself, so you will appear to be one more crew member.
- In meetings, you have to act as an actor and be convincing with your arguments and alibis. In order not to create suspicions, basically do not hesitate before answering or contradicting yourself.
How Among Us works: game rules and mechanics
Among Us has different rules. To start, each player must have a different color (he can choose between 12 different ones). Also, the characters have their names on their heads, facilitating the identification of the players.
How to join a game: online mode
Choose a public game (free access) and play with participants from all over the world. To join a game in “online” mode, follow these steps:
- In the main menu, press “Online.”
- In the “Public” section, choose “Find Game.”
- In the table, you will see the available games and the number of members.
- Finally, select the game you want to join.
Before choosing the game, you can also filter the search and select the map, the number of imposters and the language of the chat. In this way, you can find one to your liking.
How to create a private game and play locally
Private games can only be accessed with the code that the host has. Therefore, it is common for it to be used between friends. If you want to create a private game, you must:
- Click on the “Online” button.
- In the “Host” section, select the “Create Game” option.
- Establish the characteristics of the game: map, number of players and impostors.
- Select the “Confirm” button to create it.
Once done, you will appear in the room of the ship, waiting for the rest of the members. At the bottom of the screen, you will see the code that those who are going to join have to enter. The private game will start when all the players are there.
In local mode, you can play with people who are close to you and all games are public. This alternative is not used as much as the online mode, so the games are scarce. To play in this mode, you just have to:
- Select “Local” from the main menu.
- Join or create an available game.
- Wait for the necessary players to join to start.
How to play in free mode?
The free mode is ideal for practice and learning to play. Beginners will be able to adapt to the gameplay, try all the functions, know the maps, practice tasks and more.
To access this mode, click on “Free mode” in the main menu. Then, choose the map you want and you will immediately appear on it as a crew member and with your assigned task list.
You can also change and be an impostor by selecting the “Customize” option on the central laptop and then activating the red document “Be_Impostor.exe.”
When a player finds a corpse, they can report it and call a meeting to determine who the murderer or imposter is. To do this, approach the corpse until the option to report appears.
Once done, the discussion and voting system starts. Each player decides whether or not to report the corpse. On the other hand, imposters can also report dead bodies, so don’t trust anyone.
The Among Us mechanic also means that those killed can continue to play as ghosts. Although they are invisible to other players, they cannot interact with them, participate in discussion chat, or vote.
What the ghosts can do is see all the players go through walls, move faster and, most importantly, complete the rest of their pending tasks. In this way, they will help the crew to win.
Among Us 2: everything you need to know
In view of the great success of the game, its developers announced in August 2021 the creation of a sequel known as Among Us 2. This was because the original video game was not prepared for thousands of players to use it simultaneously.
However, a few months later, the same developers confirmed that these plans were canceled. They will try to integrate all the improvements and news in the current Among Us. What will be new? So far, this is what is known:
- Improvement of servers.
- Greater number of players per game.
- Security and protection against hacks and bad behavior.
- New roles.
- Support for color blind.
- New map.
- New skins.
- Incorporation of player accounts.